The Charlotte Woman's Club is the oldest civic organization in Charlotte. Organized in 1899 as the Study Club for Mothers, the group enlarged its membership and civic activities in 1902 and became the Charlotte Woman's Club. The Club joined the North Carolina Federation of Women's Clubs in 1903 and the General Federation of Women's Clubs in 1908. Incorporation occurred in 1920. The Club's former clubhouse on 1001 East Morehead Street, designed by noted Charlotte architect Charles C. Hook, was designated a Charlotte-Mecklenburg historic landmark in 1978. The Charlotte Woman's Club sold the clubhouse in 2008.
Our history has been Involved in numerous civic activities. The Club established the city's first kindergarten, staffed the bus and Southern Railway stations during both World Wars, and organized the YWCA, PTA, and Traveler's Aid in Charlotte.
With over 140 clubs throughout North Carolina, clubwomen have been dedicated to Community Improvement through Volunteer Service since 1902.
GFWC and GFWC-NC partners with organizations whose scope and mission align with our work. This allows us to magnify our impact as our sister clubs and federation members from around the world work in service with these organizations.
No upcoming events
The Charlotte Woman's Club is open to women ages 21 and older. We are a diverse group of women committed to living the volunteer spirit and helping our community be a better place to live.
The General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC), is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. Collectively, we are Living the Volunteer Spirit.
Founded in 1890, GFWC’s roots can be traced back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly, a professional journalist, attempted to attend a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Croly was denied admittance based upon her gender, and in response, formed a woman’s club—Sorosis. In celebration of Sorosis’ 21st anniversary in 1889, Jane Croly invited women’s clubs throughout the United States to pursue the cause of federation by attending a convention in New York City. On April 24, 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women’s Club by ratifying the GFWC constitution.